Bleeding gum is known in medical terms as "Gingivitis". It is an inflammation in the mouth affecting the tissues around the teeth and gum. Gingivitis occurs when the teeth are not well taken care of by proper oral hygiene practices. The symptoms include bleeding of the gum during and after brushing of the teeth, bad breath, tender gum, painful gum among others. The gum turns red and swollen. If not treated promptly, the disease can degenerate into a serious problem as destruction of bone and teeth loss can occur. If you don't brush and floss your teeth regularly, you run the risk of contracting gingivitis. These measures are to remove the thin layer of bacteria called, "plague". A regular visit to the dentist is also a good idea. However, there are things you can do at home to prevent or arrest the situation.
Take These Steps At Home to Treat Gingivitis
- Use herbal toothpaste and mouthwash twice a day regularly to cure gingivitis.
- Make a homemade saline solution by putting a pinch of salt into a glass of lukewarm water. Rinse your mouth in the morning and evening daily to increase blood flow and ease swelling of the gum.
- Use mouthwash that contains menthol, sage oil, chamomile tincture, peppermint oil. Toothpaste containing sage oil, peppermint oil is also effective in the treatment of gingivitis.
- Rub your gums with coconut oil, sesame or drink diluted lemon juice to soothe the bleeding and receding gum. Also eat raw melons, pears and apples in order to soothe the bleeding and receding gums caused by gingivitis.
- Make a mixture of baking soda and water. Dab the affected area with a finger and then brush with the herbal powder. Not only would it heal but also neutralize the acidity of bacteria.
- Select from between sesame