A dental implant is a structure made out of metal which helps in replacing the root of a missing tooth. To give you the look and feel of a real tooth a crown will be fitted on the abutment in the dental crown. The entire procedure of fitting the tooth root with metal, screws and thereby replacing damaged or missing teeth with the artificial means is termed as dental implant surgery. It is a wonderful and impressive alternative for dentures or bridgework.
The type of implant and condition of your jawbone will decide the course of dental implant surgery. Here you must know that the surgery will take place in different stages and will involve a lot of procedures. The reason why your dentist will suggest you to undergo dental implant surgery is because of its various benefits. The biggest benefit is that the implant provides unyielding support to the new teeth which gets fitted. The process might take longer because osseointegration requires a lot of time.
Tooth implants are placed surgically in the jawbone and they serve as a root for the teeth which are missing. Furthermore the metal used is titanium which fuses with the jawbone and provides a firm base. Because of titanium the implants do not slip or make noise or even cause any sort of damage to the bone. On the other hand the chances of slipping, noise and damage are higher if you have bridgework or dentures. Moreover the metal does not decay no matter what you eat.
You might be the right candidate for tooth implants if: –
1. You have one or more than one teeth missing
2. You have a full grown jawbone
3. If you have enough bone which will help in fitting the implants or if it can accommodate bone graft.
4. If you have healthy tissues in your gums.
5. If you do not have any health related concerns which might impact the healing procedure.
6. If you do not wish to carry dentures.
7. If you wish to improve the way you talk.
8. If you agree to give substantial time to dental implant surgery.
Dental Implant is a surgical procedure hence there are some chances of risk involved. These health risks are very rare and are easily cured because they are not that grave. The possible health risks include the following: –
• The implant gets infected
• The nearby structures such as teeth or the blood vessels getting damaged during the fitting of dental implant.
• The nerve getting damaged which leads to pain, lack of sensation or gives a tingling feeling to the other natural teeth and gum tissues.
• Dental implant procedure can also lead to sinus when they are placed on the upper jaw.
Many cases of tooth implant surgery are successful. The failure of implants occurs when the bone fails to blend with the metal implant. The biggest cause of failure is smoking. In case of failure the implant will be removed and the bone will be cleaned. Thereafter you can go for this procedure in next two months.
Following some common precautionary steps can yield better results. So make sure you practice excellent dental hygiene and at the same make sure you visit your dentist regularly. Visiting your dentist will help you understand the condition of dental implant and you will also the rest of the teeth.