Porcelain veneers are thin porcelain wafers bonded to the front surface of the teeth to give them an attractive makeover. It is rightly said that porcelain dental veneers are to the teeth what artificial fingernails are to the hands.
With the thickness of roughly half a millimeter, these can easily be structured as the front of teeth. Moreover, the hardness and resistance of porcelain make these veneers long-reflecting. Apart from porcelain, ceramic or composite bonding material can also be used to manufacture veneers.
What Problems Are Solved By Porcelain Veneers?
They can be used to counter the following problems:
* Worn down teeth: Teeth worn down by excessive grinding or consumption of carbonated drinks can be masked using them.
* Chipped or broken teeth: Such teeth can be hidden under porcelain veneer with similar characteristics and color as the natural teeth.
* Stained teeth: While teeth whitening can remove several types of teeth stains, they help impract perfect teeth color as well as shape. These also work well where stains are too hard to remove with teeth whitening or prophyflex treatment.
* Crooked teeth: Teeth that are not strictly crooked can be beautified using porcelain veneer. These veneers when placed over the teeth's front surface look flawless and impressive.
* Gaps: The space between two teeth can be filled using porcelain dental veneers, to give a uniform smile.
They can also act as alternatives to braces. they can help straighten teeth in a couple of appointments, instead of waiting for up to three years for braces to show the desired effect.
Which is Better – Porcelain or Composite Veneer?
Of these two types, porcelain veneer is the most popular. The differentiating factors between the two types are:
* Porcelain veneer are more durable than composite veneers.
* Composite veneers are more prone to stains than porcelain veneers.
* Porcelain veneers are natural looking and translucent.
* Although composite veneer is inexpensive in the beginning, it proves costly in the long run because of its short life.
* Dentists can easily manipulate the color of porcelain veneers to create a translucent look.
How to Search a Good Cosmetic Dentist
Although it is not illegal for a general dentist to announce himself as a "cosmetic dentist," he must have necessary undergone special training in the field. A dental directory website that arms people with comprehensive information on dentists across the US is Patient FYI. This knowledge empowers users to make informed selection.